Now that the project is finished, I can properly evaluate my work and what I have managed to come up with. However, first, here is the file. Using Flip PDF Professional (software that my dad happened to have), I was able to convert my finished booklet into a HTML file that included all the special effects and transparancy tricks I used. They’ll be talked about later on.
http://online.flipbuilder.com/ruqx/ghli/

Opinion

The project went well, overall. I’m happy with the writing’s tone and messages, as it showed a sense of oppression and silent rebellion in a crowd of simple, oblivious people. I ensured that I included a few tidbits of information regarding Canterbury, and that served as the overall plot – gathering info – but I knew I didn’t need as much research as it might suggest. It revolved around a ‘then and now’ theme. Talking with a fellow student who lived in Canterbury, I had enough information from that alone. I didn’t need anything else.

Term 2 – The Walk – Research Recordings

(This was originally separated into 5 recordings, but I bundled them into one video. That way, it is easier. Each recording is separated by a 5 second delay and a wallpaper change.)

Visual/Audio Process

The second-to-last week was hectic for me. As I still had yet to get art from my friends, I instead chose to mix several public pictures on photoshop into my own image. That way, I could place them in areas where I had yet to get a picture. This included the map, and I was forced to use a low-res image of Google Maps.

For the audio, I could only do one story’s audio, which happened to be the prologue. This was due to Amelia’s actor having only done two chapters worth of files, and my lack of time towards the end. I wanted to give her as much time as possible, but even after a month she didn’t get back to me. This really disappointed me, as Akemi’s actor had successfully recorded everything in less than a week. While Akemi had less speaking lines, that’s not exactly an excuse.

This prologue file was mixed late in the night, and it isn’t completely perfect. However, for someone’s first practical use of Adobe Audition, I grasped the program’s Multitrack tool quickly. I even gave the overall piece an ‘Intercom’ effect, by categorizing every track as Dialogue and going into the filters drop-down menu.

Problems

The biggest thing I would have done different is doing tasks other than ‘writing’ sooner rather than later. A mix of mental health issues, procrastination and personal responsibilities dwindled my time. Before I knew it, I didn’t have much time left, and this put a great deal of stress on me. Next time, I’ll get started on that at the start – or even before the start, if I can help it.

Additionally, another included my overly high expectations from a simple learning project. I wanted it to be the best I can make it, which is ambitious and admirable for anyone, but this proved to be more stressful than motivational. The work was more demanding on me, due to my own personal goals. I should know when it’s okay to relax with a project, especially one designed for our learning rather than our results. Of course, the boxes have to be ticked, but this is a developmental term. It’s not even the Final Major Project!

Solutions

To work around these problems next time, I’ll set out a much more organized plan and checklist of assets from the beginning. What I plan to do for art, audio and interactivity, set out from the beginning. From there, I can focus on that as I write. Less procrastinating, too! Even if that wasn’t the major issue.

Finally, if I’m going to ask for art, I should either commission using money or find a friend who is more reliable and can get art done quickly.

Conclusion

If I had to give it a rating, it’d be a 7 out of 10. Above average. I’d have more custom art, more complete audio and more effective time management to make this a better rating. However, I am happy with what I have, and I am happy with the writing in particular.

Advertisements